Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest developing fields of medication. Never prior to have a lot of brand-new strategies and clinical advancements emerged in such a brief period of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, provides countless people the chance to decrease or remove their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the pain-free and fast method to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will enjoy with your outcomes?
The key to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be fooled by fancy ads about a particular laser center. Select the medical professional, not the laser. Discover out who will in fact do your procedure, then ask about that doctor's credentials (e.g., board certification, unique training).
3. Select a doctor who has done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor does not know can injure you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your medical professional won't tell you, find another one.
5. Ask what measures are taken to prevent infection. Look for a center with a sterile or dust-free operating space. Make certain that disposable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgical treatment to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Beware of advertisements pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount parachute.
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. Each patient gets a slightly various outcome. The finest cosmetic surgeon in the world can't ensure 20/20 vision. Just like any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as private as each patient. Be careful of any doctor who promises 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not buying a he said vehicle; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide much better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, don't forget the advantages: for the majority of individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless people all over the world.